Saturday, March 28, 2009

Dolls.


Meet my friends Beatrice, Abigail, Daphne, and Caroline. They're sisters.
Beatrice is on the far left. She enjoys going to the ball. She has the same name as my great-grandma and she has a very pretty bonnet in her collection. She often gets in fights with Daphne.
Abigail is grouchy. She doesn't smile a lot and she's shy. She doesn't have dresses that are as pretty as the other ladies'.
Daphne is really mean to the other girls and she is always changing her dresses so she can go to different dances. The prettiest is the black one with all the roses.
Caroline is sad because no one wants to marry her even though she has pretty dresses. She doesn't like to wear pants.

None of the dresses fit on the other ladies. I know because I tried, but they only fit on the ones they were designed for.

My friends came to me from Barb's daughters. I think they came in a box that also had the Millennium Falcon. Her kids were about a decade older than me, so when they cleaned out their closets, I inherited the paper dolls. Most of my toys came to me from older relatives or friends of my parents. I had a great-grandmother who collected dolls, but they terrified me with their creepy glowy eyes reflected off the TV and their unexplained 1900s style overbites. Paper dolls were the only kind I liked to play with.
The ladies lived in a manila business envelope in reality, but a mansion in my head - where they did nothing but go to balls and change dresses all the time. I spent time with them in "the green room," the spare bedroom. They fought a lot in dialogues in my head, but they always ended up going to the ball.

The ladies died in a traumatic mass beheading one night in 1984 at the murderous hand of my 3 year old cousin Ben.

No comments:

Post a Comment